Monday, July 2, 2007

Mourning.......together....buddies...


One of the things that Devon has been asking me almost everyday several times a day is: Did you cry today? When on the phone: 'Dad, are you crying?' He then tells me if he cried or not and what made him cry. I tell him the same thing.
I'll tell you a few things that have triggered some tears.
1. Listening to the words of 'What's Going On?' by Marvin Gaye.
2. Listening to the words of 'Devotion' by Earth, Wind and Fire.
3. Doing the laundry and hanging my clothes in the closet next to Gail's clothes.
4. When someone wrote in an E-Mail, 'Your Gail.'
5. My first walk since Gail's homecoming on the trail that we used to walk together.
6. The fact that Gail is not around for Devon.
The sadness lingers and will continue to linger. It's easy to feel sorry for myself. The 'aloneness' that I experience every summer when Gail and Dev are in So. Cal. is now permanent, she's not coming back. I mourn the loss of my love, my companion, my friend and partner and Devon's Mom. I pray that I can receive the comfort offered through others. I need to continue to talk it out and walk it out.
I remember two ladies had each lost a son to suicide. They decided to dedicate their lives to teaching others about suicide prevention. They would share their story of loss over and over and over again. Each time, they said was painful, but each time there was some healing as they shared. I dare not process my sorrow alone. Talk to someone about your loss and disapointments. It doesn't change the situation, but some hope can emerge just the same.
I went to work today after being off for over a week. It was theraputic to be back at work. I spoke to or said a simple 'hi' to about 20 people. I laughed, I listened and I was quiet. It felt good to laugh. I needed that. There was peace, strangely in the midst of insanity. How can it be?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,
Your words touch my heart so much. You are so raw, open, and honest and so willing to let us be part of your lives and journey. Thank you for teaching me through this painful time of how to deal with going on. I appreciate you and Devon so much and there isn't anything that I can say that will take away your pain, but I do care deeply for you guys and I just want you to know I'm here and grieving with you.
I love you,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Jon,
The thing you wroght made me think. We are all sad about Gail and evryone who loves and cares about her crys. Sometimes, I cry, but I try not to. Its a big mistake. Crying and sharing is a healthy was to feel better. We are all here for you and Devon and im gald you wright everyday because me and all of your firends and family love and worry about you abd Devon. Don't stop wrighting please!

Love,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

I visit Gail's Place several times a day. Every time I visit, tears flood my eyes. Yet I keep coming back to read the new posts and re-read the old ones. Through my tear filled eyes, I find comfort and encouragement in reading the postings by Jon, Devon, and others.

Jon, I miss Gail so much and I wish we were closer to HMB so that I could cry with you, laugh with you, and just sit quietly with you.

Often after reading the blog, I go and hold our newborn Caleb Gailen and think just how amazing and precious a life he is. People say that babies can see angels. At times Caleb will bless us with a smile and look into the distance... and I say to him... "What is it Caleb? Do you see Auntie Gail smiling from Heaven?"

Jon, Devon, Gail we love you so much...
Kazu and Sayuri

AZ Chapman said...

hay Jon it's Az just posting to say happy 4th. Say hi to Jeff and the others.


ps it's my dad's birthday today uf y want to stop and leave him a message y know how to reach us.

Da Real said...

Im Glad I got to talk to you Jon.

Give me a call anytime brotha.

hi Devon!~

~darryl