Saturday, February 9, 2008

What's Goin On...

It was my birthday on January 27th. Birthdays at our age were no big deal. We'd usually got out to dinner and that's about it. It came on a Sunday. Devon was funny and he asked on the day before, 'Dad, what do you want to do for your birthday?' I told him, 'Nothing'. And I meant it.

We went to church and our worship team 'happened' to play two songs that they did for Gail's memorial service in Half Moon Bay. Wow. And on my birthday. The two songs were: 1) Amazing Grace by Chris Tomlin and 2) Yesterday, Today and Forever. Those songs were such a gift to me. And as I was sitting with no one next to me, I felt Gail's presence beside me. I can't remember this happening before. It was like she was saying, 'I am with you, and always will be....since, I feel more connected with her....I find myself talking to her and I sense a calm reassurance, especially when I am anxious and fearful....

I'm thankful to the Lord for his kindness and goodness for giving me this on my birthday.

It didn't stop there. Devon told a few of my friends after church that it was my birthday and one of them, asked what I was doing for dinner and I said, 'nothing'. Devon and I and two other families went to Spanish Town, (mexican, what else) and had a flan with a candle on it. From one friend, I received 2 pounds of Peet's Major D, and another a moleskine journal and a nice card. Another welcome surprise straight from my good Dad in heaven.

I'm thankful that Devon passed all his classes on the semester. Thanks for your support and prayers through this. They matter and are making a difference in our lives. Devon got a C in Algebra, A's in Independent Study, Chorus and US History, a B in English and a C in Physical Science. We're all happy about this. He has a lot of sticktuativeness in his studies. Uncle Steve Yahata is working with him to prep for the Math Exit exam which is happening again in May.

Devon and I are both continuing in the counseling. Some weeks I have no idea what I am going to say, but the Lord always gives us something to discuss that is meaningful. One issue that was especially helpful, was when my counselor helped me to see that I don't have to look very far at all to determine how I can bless Gail's memory. I can just continue what we were doing together.

We have a Sunday School class that meets @ 10:30 @ Mariners. Gail picked up the class and I took over the teaching about a year ago and for the last few months we are sharing our stories. We are asking others to come in a walk with us to La Di Da coffee house to share with one another. The class is growing! More students are coming! We are having fun together and are blessed to hear each other's stories.

Gail was in admin for our hoops teams, Devon played, and I coach. Devon and I are continuing this, and other mom's and parents have stepped in. There is expansion.

I keep hearing Isaiah 54 in my head about picking up the stakes and expanding the tent. I have felt on an off that i should be folding the tent, or pulling in, instead of expanding. But the Lord seems to be bringing more and more students and families. We're thankful.

Devon and I are continuing to walk. This is a rich time of sharing and listening to one another and affirming our relationship.

My Mom and Dad are here. They are so good. I have been discussing the Sabbatical that we are helping to plan for our pastor Paul for May. They are so wise and encouraging. Plus my mom ironed a lot of my shirts. 'Thanks Mom!'

A friend and I get together about once a month. The last time that we got together, I was telling her about the book the 'Essential Wooden' and how Devon had used it for his book report. I suggested that she and I read that book because it has a lot of lessons in leadership. This will be fun and I'm looking forward to it.

We are still mourning of course. There is a certain sadness/space in our life now. We are so blessed to be lifted in prayer and thought. We are so grateful.

Love,

Jon and Devon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update Jon. It's a great comfort to those of us who love Gail, Devon, and you to know how you are doing. I check in and read the blog a couple times a week, just to see what is up with you and Devon. Even if you are venting, it makes me feel relieved to see a new entry. I'm so happy that Devon is doing so well in school. I hope that he feels proud of the progress he's made because he's doing great.